We believe that the fundamental purpose of a training assessment should be to answer the questions: "What is holding us back?" and "Where should we focus?"
Based upon over 800 training assessment and measurement projects over the last 25+ years, we have found 8 top drivers for a training needs assessment are to:
- Initiate the behavior and performance change process
- Align leadership and employees on what matters most
- Pinpoint critical skill gaps against a proven or desired standard
- Customize and target talent development
- Guide performance coaching and individual development plans
- Set baseline metrics to improve from
- Obtain stakeholder buy-in and support
- Increase training relevance and impact
We also know that not all skills and knowledge are created equal. Some matter more than others for your unique strategy, culture and marketplace. In addition to customizing training assessments to their unique environment, smart learning leaders look for more than "opinions" and guide learning and development strategies by comparing specific skills to actual on-the-job performance.
And from a purely practical point of view, we believe that training assessments should be:
- Short (10-20 minutes)
- Relevant (to the participants, their boss and the business)
- Cost effective (they should save you money by allowing you to only focus on what matters most)
- Timely (completed in weeks, not months)
To learn more about training needs assessments done right, please visit: http://www.lsaglobal.com/training-needs-assessment/
Or take our free training health check to see where you stand.